Thursday, October 11, 2007

Easing Back Into Things Part II

When I said that I was easing back into my routine, I didn't realize that I would need to check my ego at the door. I had a really awesome night at jiu jitsu. It was the first night since I've been back that I really had my head in the game. I have the world's greatest coach- for real. Not only is he an awesome teacher, but he really makes his students feel like he has faith in them. Oh yeah, and he tells me that a black eye looks hot on a girl (to make me feel better about mine, which I somehow got a few nights ago at class). It makes me smile and is a nice thing to hear (even as a joke) after walking around all day feeling the need to tell the world that you're not a domestic violence victim. I wish there was some bad-ass story to go with my getting-worse-by-the-day black eye, but the truth is that I just caught a knee to the face at practice... not very impressive :)

Anyway. I was exhausted after rolling tonight, and made a promise to myself that I will do my kb workout in the morning, and not after jiu jitsu anymore. It's self-defeating to come home worn out and then try to get a decent workout in with kb's. Either way. I still had some strength after tonight, so I did a simple little swing ladder and then destroyed my abs for a good 30 min. Now, I'm sleepy and feel well worked. Hopefully my commitment to myself will yield more productive workouts for me.

swing ladder:
10 swings
50 hindu squats
20 sw
40 sq
30 sw
30 sq
40 sw
20 sq
50 sw
10 sq

30 min of abs.

2 comments:

Franz Snideman said...

That is awesome that you do jiu-jitsu!
I've always wanted to train for some type of fighting art, but track and field seems to keep me busy enough.

And I'm sure the KB's make a big difference in your Jiu-jitsu?

Howie B said...

Yeah, good thinking about splitting the kb work from your jiu jitsu class. Give your body a chance to recuperate before pounding it again. That's how injuries happen. And 30 min of ab work?!?! Damn... that's a lot of ab work. And yeah, he's right, black eyes on girls are hot, just as long as its not a result of domestic violence. And don't downplay getting a knee to the eye, that alone will impress most people!