Tuesday, September 4, 2007

You Can't Just Take A Day "Off"

So, I learned the hard way. The one thing that I had missed, like really, truly missed since becoming vegan was milk (not rice milk, or soy milk), cow milk. So, yesterday I finally dragged my three year old god-son to the grocery store to pick out his favorite foods... from the organic section. I figure if I have anything to do with it, at least he'll be eating organic pop tarts and frozen dinners (I had a list of things to get from his mom). One of the things she wanted me to get was milk. So, I picked up a gallon jug of organic milk with everything else and we went home. Later that evening, I decided that I would have just one glass of milk, since it sounded so good. Well, apparently you can't just take a day off from being vegan without paying some seriously disgusting consequences. My body was in such shock from the glass of milk that I was sicker than I ever remember having been this morning. I won't share details, but it was gross. So, no more deviating farther than whey protein for this vegan- and for others who wish to reintroduce dairy into their life after not having it for a significant amount of time- do it slowly.

I slept pretty much all day, as my body was dehydrated and drained completely, but I woke up in time to make it to jiu jitsu. Great session- never trained in a gi before. It was very different (and a lot hotter) than no gi, which is how I've always trained. Nevertheless, it is a big part of the sport and something else that I need to work on.

When I got home from jj, I was really exhausted, but managed to squeeze in a really short kb workout and a little 30 min jog.

warm up:
2 hand swings on/off for ~5 min
L/R weighted pistols
(0 then 12k then 16k on each leg)

workout:
20 tactical lunges
20 double swings
20 high pull then snatches (10L/10R)
20 double swings
10 windmills (5L/5R)
20 double swings
20 high pull then snatches (10L/10R)
20 double swings
5L/5R clean/press

~30 min jog

I was not very pleased with how I felt during the kb workout or run. I had barely dragged myself out of the house for jiu jitsu. My body was tired and I felt really weak, that's why I didn't do the three-five sets that I would have liked to of kbs or ran longer than I did. But, I have a long day tomorrow- boxing, jj, 2 clients and preparing for my l-o-n-g drive back home, so I hope my energy is back up to par when I wake up.

No comments: