Saturday, September 1, 2007

Taking Good Advice

So, today I felt kind of fresh. By fresh I mean that all I did yesterday was jiu jitsu, then I had refined sugar in the form of white bread, actually a bread bowl with some super yummy vegetarian chili in it... and a cookie. Post jiu jitsu indulgence I guess. Put me into a carb coma- boo.

Without putting my business all out there and in the mix- recently I have grown more appreciative of everyday. This doesn't mean that I want to go out and be self destructive or abandon my healthy lifestyle, but I'm not gonna be so hard on myself when it comes to things like the aforementioned indulgence (and a beer every now and then). Every day is another one that I am lucky to wake up to and have this wonderful life. There's this corny poster that I have walked by in the hallway of my college almost everyday for the past five years (I was in the Marine Corps- not just on the 6 year plan). It says, "Tough times never last, tough people do." I always just looked at it and kept walking, until today when a close friend said those exact words to me. So- enough mushy gushy shit. Here's to being a tough girl with a damn tough mom ;) She's my ass-kicking, name-taking inspiration and too tough to let anything get the best of her.

Today I took the advice of someone super good to be doling out advice and not charging me anything for it (which he could- and should, lol). I backed off my dead-lift weight 60% since I was scared by last weeks bamboozled (jeez I'm a dork) attempt at pulling my PR weight. I am getting used to the belt- and the feeling of lifting with my glutes (its been a bootylicious few days). Thank you Brett. You rock!

straight leg d.l.
touch n go (just the bar)
10 feet together
10 feet shoulder width
10 feet plie

sumo d.l.
170 lbs. x 2
5 sets

kettlebell workout:
36:36 w/ 16k
10 sets

swing ladder
(all dbl swings w/ 2 16k's & hindu squats)
50 swings
10 squats
40 swings
20 squats
30 swings
30 squats
20 swings
40 squats
10 swings
50 squats

This is my favorite little thing to do to work up a sweat when I'm kind of in a hurry, and I was trying to make it to the pistol range before it closed. Mostly in the red, all in the black :)

4 comments:

fawn said...

Good to hear training is going well. I think Brett gave you excellent advice... I'm scaling back on the DL weight as well. Just grooving the technique.

What is a "Hindu squat"? What kind of gun(s) do you shoot?

Renee said...

Fawn> Brett's been great for helping me out. Hindu squats are the squats that Pavel demonstrates in Super Joints. It's a standing squat with your feet shoulder width apart where you squat down and drag your fingers from back to front like a monkey :)

.40 cal Millennium Taurus PT140 is the one I carry, but I shot a 9 mil (and an M16) most of the time I was in the Corps.

Anonymous said...

It is easy to overdo DLing because it's just such a fun challenege. I stick to lifting up to 215-ish. That seems to be a good weight for me to pull without serious recovery needs....My husband's getting a glock soon (should have been this weekend, but we won't go there) :p As soon as we get it- we're hittin the range, too!

Renee said...

Sara> My best unsolicited advice is to make sure you get something that your hands can rack back. I had issues with that at first. And- keep your eyes open, long story, but the first shot can be startling :)