Monday, July 16, 2007

Kettlebells as Form of Constructive Procrastination...

There are about 100 things that I would rather do than study. And I usually make my way through a good 45-50 of them before I actually sit down and do it. One of those things is kettlebells. While my good sense tells me that I have finals this week (ick), my better sense told me that a good workout would be better for me this evening.

Saturday I woke up and got a good run in. It may sound crazy, but I can feel the VO2 Max work every time I clock myself on a 5K. For about 5 years of my adult life (technically there has only been 6, but who's counting-) I have been running myself around a track thinking that was the only way I was going to get faster. And I did, sometimes. Nothing has shown these kind of results so quickly. I wasn't even really paying close attention, but I thought I would start keeping track when I noticed it was easier for me to take off on intervals than it was for me to do a slow, even paced run. Anyway. Sat I had an awesome run and was really happy about how it felt.

Then, Sat night I climbed- no where near as physically challenging as it was mental. Its been too long since I have felt the blood rush out of my head and my hands shake so bad I lost feeling. I had a good time, but I can never seem to make real progress when facing my fears like that. Never the less, I still made it up all the courses that I tried. I had no good concept of what was easy, intermediate, and hard, because I could power through the initial part and the hardest thing was coming back down. I really didn't want to let go of the wall. No pictures- yet.

Sunday is my usual day off, and I like it like that. It always makes Mon workout interesting though. I have no good idea why I workout at night. I just seems to be the obvious time when the day is over and I have some time to myself... oh yeah, and I should be studying, ha ha. Not to mention I sleep better.

warm-up:
40 2-hand swings
5 sets

workout:
1 min around-body pass
1 min 2-hand swings
1 min figure-8
1 min 2-hand swings
1 min halos
(1 min rest)
3 sets x2

5L/5R TGUs
4L/3R pistols

I decided to forgo my ab workout. No good reason besides my conscience got the best of me. So, enough procrastinating... I'm so over school ;)


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Renee, nice training session. that is some serious work!

/Kenneth Jay