Monday, June 18, 2007

Sick Girl / RKC: Fun in the Sun

Well, I have been pretty sick since a few days after after I returned from the RKC (June 8-10, I think). I took the week after returning to focus on my form, doing sets of 10 2-handed swings, 10/10 switching hands (swings), a few snatches, squats, and TGUs. Again, this was only to critique my own form (which is not easy without a video camera). I was doing my best to keep my running to a minimum, because you're not supposed to run with a fever. So- that was what has been my little training since my return from MN.

About the RKC:
I really can't say enough how impressed I was with the whole experience of being up there with so many experienced and extremely knowledgeable folks. The workshop ran very smooth and there was so much to be learned in a really short time. It was fabulous to finally have people to critique my form and let me know some of my strengths and weaknesses.

I have been going it alone since I first picked up a kettlebell- with the exception of my dad, who was also relatively untrained. I will say that the Kettlebell Goddess video was great for watching proper technique, especially for women. But, as I mentioned before, NOT easy when you don't have a video camera to replay your workout.


But, really everyone did a spectacular job of putting on a fabulous workshop. I must say thanks to Kenneth, Yoana, and Doc for being awesome leaders. I have to credit Yoana for drilling me into lengthening my spine and sticking my butt out to properly load my hips. I could go on all day about how great my team was and all the things I learned from them. It was really wonderful to have my dad there with me. The man is 56 y/o, a Vietnam vet who was sprayed up his back with bullets there, had two back surgeries (one being a spinal fusion), and he has the flexibility of an elephant. But, he did great and it was so great to see him rock out and stay so motivated.
The workouts were great- especially the "crucible." I am a masochist when it comes to working out, so I loved the pain :) The instructors were phenomenal- all of the classes we got were so packed with information that I wish I could have taken shorthand and copied all of the info they passed (especially since I am not known for my spectacular memory). Everyone there really was a wealth of knowledge and Pavel was, well... Pavel. He is an amazing man and amazing teacher who really blended his hard-style tactics with sadistic humor. Tough love baby! Not to mention, being trained by the man who started the kettlebell revolution in this country and the subject-matter expert on any/everything kb related is truly an honor. Thanks to everyone involved for some great training and an awesome time!

So- here are a few pictures of the workshop. I'll post more as they get disseminated.


No comments: