Monday, January 28, 2008

The Last Week-ish

The last week has been super busy. My classes this semester = super tough. Actually, they're the toughest I've had since I started this whole college thing (which, BTW, I am so ready to be done with). But, good thing I have such positive outlets for my pent up aggression and frustration.

Boxing is 6 days a week (and running in the morning with my team-mates 5). We've worked a whole lot on movement and footwork, which is exactly what I need. We've had three new guys start training with us, and I don't have to drop weight right now, which is pretty nice (I'm not super fun when that's going on). So, things there are very well. My focus needs to be on footwork and technically sound punches, so I have tried to incorporate jumping rope, slipping/step-around drills, and lots of shadow boxing (in my own workouts, not just at practice).

Still doing jiu jitsu. I didn't go last week because of vehicle situations, but I'll be up there tonight- right after boxing to get back on the mats. Jiu jitsu is such a beautiful sport when its done well. Watching guys like BJ Penn (and of course Jerry, my coach)- they transition and maneuver so smoothly. I wish it was as easy as they make it look... No, I wish I could make it look as easy as they make it look :)

My kettlebell workouts have been lots of working the 15:15. I will do anything to get me out of having to do sprints, he he. But, I have done some sprint work (sprinting between light-poles) on one of our running routes in the mornings. We try to switch it up based on what we do at practice (if we do intervals, then we run longer and slower- if not, then we pick it up with sprints). It seems to be working well.

My favorite workout that I have done three times in the past week has been this one (which I will alternate with the 15:15 after some low-rep heavier stuff):

2 min each:
2 hand swings w/ 16 k
1 min each L/R TGU's
jump rope
1 min each L/R one-leg m.p.
1 min each L/R high pulls

I finish by wearing myself down with as many pistols as I do on each leg and sets of BW pull-ups.
I have laid off my abs (and its shows), only doing as much as we do at practice, but I'm kicking it back in this week. If I haven't mentioned it already- I love my ab wheel. My living room keeps getting more stuff put in the "kettlebell corner" like my ab wheel and stability ball- more to come for sure :) Wish I had a garage.

1 comment:

Howie B said...

That is one crazy schedule you keep. I'm surprised you even have time for kareoke. And yes, the toys sure do tend to pile up, don't they!