Tuesday, January 29, 2008

The Gym and Passing Judgment.

Sooo... tonight boxing was cancelled, no jiu jitsu, and I had already run with Emily and Gator (the fine canine running specimen that he is becoming), so I was planning on hitting a really good workout in the living-room a la kettlebells. But, one of my friends that I box with called me to ask if I wanted to got to the gym and "lift" since practice got canceled. So, I obliged. Now, I love relentless gym bashing (almost as much as Republican bashing... no, not as much) since the gym is only good for the Olympic lifting platform- that I would also install in my living-room if I could afford to do so- as far as I'm concerned. :) Maybe I'm a hypocrite or maybe it was just for nostalgia, being that it is the same gym I used to teach aerobics to whiny, dependent wives at. Either way, I went with and didn't have a bad time... till I left. Nothing was wrong with my workout: I can enjoy about 20 different modifications to the deadlift, and squats, and all the super-duper new "ab machines." But, some things are only entertaining for so long. The TT gym = one of them. As we were leaving I began to think (that's usually 1/2 the problem right there).

I am very lucky to have such wonderful people and facilities to train in. I am grateful for all of them everyday. But, I do jiu jitsu in a pole-barn style building that also serves as the county fairgrounds that's an hour from my house. I box in an old, run-down, 1/2 torn apart boxing gym. I run... um...on the sidewalk. I play with iron kettlebells in my living room trying to dodge the dog and three-year-old... and I love it- all of it! I wouldn't ask for better places to do any of those things. And I utilize them all, voluntarily, on a pretty-much daily basis. The reason I point all this stuff out is this: What possible reason could a Marine or dependent-spouse have for not being in shape. Of all of the excuses that exist, unless you are physically not-able to get yourself there (walking, running, driving, or riding a bike), none of them are acceptable. There is all of the super-duper equipment provided (to include a machine that assists in medicine ball sit-up tosses- WTF?!) for free, free personal training, free group fitness classes, free usage of the locker rooms, even free towels to wipe your sweaty self off- none of which seems to be enough to get some of these folks to want to go. Apparently, therein lies the problem- They don't want to go. Period. They would rather sit on their butts when they get home and eat Doritos and drink Mountain Dew than go use all the nice free shit that the government is trying to taunt them in to good (or better) shape with. I don't get it. I understand we don't all have the same schedule (its open almost always) or the same priorities (but I'll go ahead and call you screwed up if good health isn't in your top 5), but give me a break. Barring any legitimate medical issue, there's no reason any military family member should be out of shape- point blank.

This phenomenon needs to be explained to me, scientifically. So many military spouses are notoriously out of shape, overweight, or both. Nothing I've read thus far, even attempts to breach this topic. Does the means not justify the ends? Who doesn't want to look and feel better if you presently look and feel like shit? Like I said before, the DoD is practically doing a fitness strip-tease on base housing. I doesn't get any easier or more convenient. I suppose the point of failure is the point at which you actually have to sweat. Hmmpf. You can lead a horse to water...

Okay... off my soapbox and off to bed ;)

5 comments:

Howie B said...

Ahhh youth. I understand how you can get frustrated watching others who don't have the same passion and drive that you yourself have. That's probably typical for those that are naturally strong. But not everyone has that innate strength. And until you've walked in another's shoes it's hard to understand their motivations, whether it be to take care of themselves or not. Best to be a good example for others, use your strength to give them the momentum they need to start moving themselves and continue to be a positive force. Sometimes easier said than done.

Renee said...

Howie> I am by no means "naturally" strong, fast, or agile. I have to work very hard to be any of those things (and I still don't think I've reached anything close to my potential). After re-reading this, I realize that it was mildly hateful. I didn't mean it to be so. I haven't walked in the shoes of any of those folks, but I have had my share of struggles, lacked motivation, and hit some big bumps along the way. But, my "mantra" about the pain of discipline is what I try to live by, and what I think of when I, myself, struggle to get my own butt out of bed at 5:00am to go run in the freezing cold. If by strength to give them momentum, you mean a swift kick in the pants, :) I think I can handle that (j/k). Perhaps I should exercise some discipline in being patient and understanding with others :)

Howie B said...

I think you're doing just fine. I hope I didn't come off negatively either. I've read your trials and tribulations. Your schedule. Your drive. I never said being strong meant things come easy. Life is hard. But you are definitely strong. Dragging your butt out of bed at 5am... it ain't easy. Especially when you know you can sleep for another hour or so if you choose.

Just the other night I was showing my kettlebells off and telling someone that I wake up at 5am to workout before going to work. He smiled and said something to the effect, "I enjoy my sleep too much." This was an individual that would definitely benefit from regular training (to be politically correct about it). Not everyone has that strength. You are one that does. Keep it up!!

Anonymous said...

Girlfriend, I'm livin smack in the middle of your post! I scratch my head daily, too. K, so you sit at home all day "taking care of your kids" and then get all pissy when your husband comes home because you've been holed up in your house all day doing... (I don't really know, nothing?) You take it out on him, neverminding that he's been working for the gov'ment all day...I could go on, but Hello?!? I'm feelin ya. Some people need to seriously get a grip. There's always a reason though, right? Riiiight....They try to sell it, but I never buy it.
Holla!

Jordan Vezina said...

My fellow 03's were some of the laziest people I have ever come across, so I feel your pain. :)
I watched my roommate over the course of three years consume more mountain dew than any man has a right to, and he probably went into the gas chamber more often than he did the gym.